Sunday, July 31, 2016

What I Read in July


    If you are looking for life changing reads, these are not them. I purchased these to read while sitting at the pool or beach. While they are inspiring in their own ways, if you want something spiritually enlightening or life changing, do not go any further reading this post..


                                                                              Image result for around the world in 80 lays
    The first was Around the World in 80 Lays. It's exactly what it sounds like.  Written by Melanie Curtain it's an insight into her real life dating and sexual adventures. She wrote this book to bring some positive attention to women's sexuality and to create less shame in talking about it. It is entertaining and there are a few good quotes and solid points, but don't expect much.

    The second book was one I had been interested in reading for a while ever since learning of her success, and that is Girlboss by Sophia Amoruso. I had held back because after all the rumors I had heard of the shady way she came to be successful I was a bit turned off about giving her more money. Well, I decided to give her a second chance and wanted to learn more about her and Nasty Gal. I have come to the conclusion that it was just that: rumors. I can understand that people will be jealous when someone succeeds so quickly and women are catty. It also turns out me and Sophia have a lot in common. This one was actually very inspiring, especially to those who do want to start their own business and have many nay-sayers. Her story is pretty incredible, and the crazy thing is they are still growing! So, I recommend this book. Although it is not superbly written and at times seems kind of all over the place, it was a very interesting and entertaining read.
   It seemed to be all over the place because some thoughts and points were a bit repetitive and the different chapters at times seemed to be irrelevant. My favorite parts were when she talked about the initial start of the company, what she looks for in hiring employees, and resumes, cover letters and interviews. It also has some really great quotes (which I shamelessly highlighted).

                                                                           Image result for girlboss



       What are some of your favorite books recently?



                                                              Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment